The official site for the British Community Committee of France

Latest News


Post-Brexit visits to France by UK residents ...

August 1, 2021

Unless you were resident in France before 1st January 2021(*), a British Citizen is considered to be a Third Country Visitor by the French authorities.The rules are different depending on whether you come to France for a short or a long stay:

-      A short stay is defined as spending no more than 90 days out of a rolling 180 period in France or any other EU Country.

-      The long stay rules apply as soon as you have spent more than 90 days out of a 180 day period in the European Union.

At the moment, if you come to France for a short stay there are no visa requirements, whether it be for work or for a holiday. Your passport will be stamped with the date of your entry into France and this, and any subsequent stamps if you return to the UK in the 180 day period, will be used to assess whether you are within the 90 day limit allowed.

From 2022, it is planned that new systems will be implemented, including in particular the European Travel Authorisation and Information System (ETIAS). The ETIAS will be a mandatory pre-condition for entry to the Schengen States (including the EU) for non-EU citizens who are visa-exempt - so for UK citizens. You will have to apply for this on the ETIAS website or app before travelling and pay a fee expected to be 7 euros. It will be checked together with the travel documents by the border guards when crossing the EU border.

If you are coming to France to work, but for less than 90 days, you do not need a visa but you may require a temporary work permit. A work permit is not required for work related to a sporting, cultural or scientific event, a seminar or trade show, the production and broadcast of cinematographic and audiovisual works, modelling, IT/ asset management/ insurance/ finance/ design/ engineering audit or expertise engagements. The list of exemptions is quite long, but do check with the French Embassy in London if you have any doubt on whether or not you need a work permit.

If you think your stay will exceed 90 days, for example if you intend to acquire a second home in France at which you plan to stay for more than three months at a time, or if you a considering moving permanently to France, you will need to apply for a long stay visa.  This visa must be applied for before you leave the UK, from the French Embassy in London.The visa can take up to three months to be issued so you must prepare your application in good time. Full details are available on the French Embassy in London’s website.

Full details of the rules relating to the time you are entitled to spend in France are provided on the French government site that will find it you follow the link below:

* Note: if you are a British Citizen who was resident in France before 1st January 2021, you should be entitled to a Withdrawal Agreement Residence Permit (Titre de séjour). However, the official final date for you tio submit your application was 30th June 2021. However, the French Government is still accepting applications. So if you think you are entitled to this Permit and have not applied yet, please do so NOW!!!